This is my life...a series of dreams come true on a daily basis. Join me as I run down my dream - maybe you will find your dream in the process.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Re-Education

A couple of months ago, I started a new career as working for an insurance agent. When I went for my initial interview, I mentioned that I had taken Spanish since 7th grade and, at one time, been fairly capable of communicating in said language. Needless to say, my boss was excited to tap into the quite large Hispanic market we have here in East Tennessee.

Anyway, I have not spoken it since my college days, so I decided to purchase the Rosetta Stone Spanish program to help me bush up on my Spanish language skills. I was quite rusty.

I have made it though the first four units, and I am amazed at how quickly things are coming back to me! I feel like I can read and write quite well, but the listening and speaking comprehension is still lagging behind. What I really need is to find a native Spanish speaker to practice on. Thinking of trying Craig's List to see if anyone would be willing to practice their English on me, while I practice my Spanish on them. Just thinking...

Miss Scarlett is starting Mandarin again with a private tutor. We felt it was important that she know her native tongue and be able to speak a second language. The cool part is, we have to learn it with her so we can help her practice it. We are so excited!

I'll have to let you know if the R.S. program is as good as a tutor. I suspect it is not, but have hope that it will come close!

No comments: