This is my life...a series of dreams come true on a daily basis. Join me as I run down my dream - maybe you will find your dream in the process.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

One Week Home - Part One

I am so far behind on posting that I have divided the first week home into parts.  This is the first one...

Who knew that being home would be thousands times more tiring that living out of suitcases in a hotel in China?  We left China on Friday morning - an uneventful trip until we reached the Chicago-O'Hare Airport.  We thought we had plenty of time to spare between flights.  We had budgeted almost 2 hours.  However, Immigration thought it would make life more exciting by calling in the U.S. Dept. of Health on Jackson's positive TB skin test.  That phone call cost us our connecting flight home.   We were fortunate enough to have the assistance of a wonderful United Airlines employee who helped us get on the next flight out (6 a.m. Saturday morning) and find an inexpensive hotel connected to eh airport.

After taking baths and getting a good night's sleep, we left Chicago for home.  We had a wonderful welcoming committee of my Dad, Brenda, Leigh Ann, Lindsey, Kylie and Luke.  We were thankful that Lindsey and her family came along, because we needed their big Suburban to get all our luggage home!

Upon reaching home, we were met by almost ALL (and I do mean all) of the surrounding county: sisters, brothers, mothers, cousins, friends all came to meet Jackson.  Like the little politician he is, he met everyone with a smile and blowing kisses.  Our family brought tons of food (which was such a blessing) and our friends: Sara, Lena, Sammy and Jack had decorated the yard with balloons and a welcome poster.

The rest of the weekend was spent trying to get acclimated to the time difference.  It took the children only 3 days to get back on schedule, something for which I am extremely thankful.

James started back to work on Monday and Scarlett to school.  Jackson and I went in with Scarlett so that she could show her new brother off to the class.  It was a good day.

Tuesday was spent going to the pediatrician and getting shots,  Jackson is not a fan of shots, but he forgave the nurse by blowing kisses.

Wednesday we went to my niece Lindsey's to play with her son Luke.  Jackson and Luke had a grand time.  After lunch and a short shopping trip with them,  Jackson and I went to the Health Department with Jackson's chest x-rays.  The nurse did a second TB skin test and told us to come back on Friday to have it read.  By that time, we were all pooped out and took naps.  After naps, we went to church to work in the bookstore.  People I had never seen before came into the bookstore to meet Jackson and ask Scarlett how she liked being a big sister.

We will be glad when things settle in a little bit so we can get back to a normal life!


MamaOfTwo said...

Welcome home, Dear Friend. Glad things are settling in. Hopefully, they will settle DOWN soon (and no more dr. appts. for awhile).

FYI - I was there for your "welcome home" in spirit. :)


Peggy said...

Hey Laura!
So glad to hear from you. Have thought about calling but didn't want to invade your space as you all find your "new normal"!
Give me a call when can!
Love to you all!